Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Mormons are coming! The Mormons are coming!

So I'm at my other job at the arena and luckily, they have a wireless network in the joint! Pretty cool, eh? Who needs basketball when you've got the internet? So the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is here performing, huge group. Really nice sound with the orchestra as well. When I first got here it looked like a convention for the republican party but then you started seeing the Polynesian side of the Mormon faith. That is a trip. I've got other concerts to look forward to like Destiny's Child in Sept and U2 in Nov. Even the Eagles are doing a reunion tour in Oct. Should be fun, not even mentioning that Warriors on the upswing as well. If anyone wants to check out the circus in Aug, let me know. I always find a suite for family and friends at those types of events.
So back to the wedding, I have done pretty well with keeping the crowd going during the night but I knew this was going to be tough. Luckily we moved the first dance to occur right after the entourage entrance. Before that though, as we were lining up the group in order the groom was nowhere to be seen. I kept looking for anyone to tell me who he is because I never met him. He had a twin brother but I didn't realize that until I kept seeing who I thought he was, holding another girl's hand. So when he did show up it was a pretty grand entrance, he in his white tux and terminator sunglasses. He walked with his head held high and then went straight to me. I shook his hand, gave him my congrats and said, "Let's do the entrance, you ready man?" "No, I'm not in the mood", he said. What? What kind of mood do you have to be in? I could already see that he was way drunk, red as hell, and just loud. I mean, it's your wedding dog, but damn, show some class, right? Naw, not tonite. When they finally sat down, we called the priest from the ceremony. He gave a prayer and wished the couple good luck. The groom gave no acknowledgement to that, none at all. Didn't even look at him while he gave his speech. He just kept waving at people in the crowd. When the speeches came, his brother looked like he had to bite his tongue. He did mention how wild his brother was,as if to apologize for his current behavior, but he really held back. Aileen, as Matron of Honor, gave a beautiful speech which he also pretty much ignored, even as she thanked him for making the bride and her kids a family again. Just disgraceful. So as the night went and time went by and by, he was nowhere to be seen. Most of the time he was at the restaurant bar, not the bar behind him in the outdoor patio to be seen by everyone. He missed a beautiful Hawaiian performance (the wedding was a Hawaiian theme) until the exiting of the group. I told Nette, who introduced the halau, to not focus on this as a gift to the couple so that we took attention away from their situation, but more to the friends and family that were there. There he was anyways grandstanding when he made his return. So we missed the mother-son father-dance. His mom was sweet but she seemed so lost, not knowing what to expect from her own son. Her dad was upset but really held it in. I could see uncles who were sponsors, looking at him in disgust, knowing how drunk he was. We were going to try to do the money dance but I couldn't imagine anyone would want to dance with him in that state so we cancelled that too. We barely got the cake cut. There was no bouquet and garter toss. Luckily though, as we kinda waited around people just started to dance. I wasn't expecting it, but what else was there to do? We couldn't just wait for something to happen so we went with it for about two and a half hours straight. They said no hardcore rap so that was half my stuff, so we went with the old school r&b, which worked great. I even got to play some old house music, like Robin S. 2 Unlimited, and the "I like to move it move it" song. I looked at Laurie at that moment and we both thought of the lemurs in Madagascar, the movie. Having to play the whole night kept me away from being able to play stuff that Laurie and I could dance to be we did get our moments. Later as I saw the bride here and there I could see the pain and worry that all had gone so badly that she was in shock. She tried to put on such a different face that you could see how hurt and embarrased she was anyways. My heart really went out to her and still does. Finally, when we packed up and were leaving the restaurant, I was chatting with one of the valet guys who complimented me on the music. He said it sounded great in there, except for the groom, who he could not believe he was acting like that at his own wedding. The story got out that the ring was dropped at the wedding (his brother dropped it, as the best man). The valet mentioned that is bad luck and it means what I think you all are beginning to understand and see. I won't put it here because you never want to predict the worst, but I'll be surpised if they "you know what"... I believe she deserves better.

4 Comments:

At 10:11 AM , Blogger Mur said...

Poor girl....I felt like crying for her and I wasn't even there!

 
At 10:26 AM , Blogger laragitara said...

talk about "series of unfortunate events".

 
At 10:53 AM , Blogger bev said...

that's so sad..poor girl :(

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger Gary said...

Wow, I couldn't imagine trying to photograph the event!

I feel really bad for the girl and their families.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home