Thursday, June 23, 2005

Light at the end of the tunnel

I'm chillin at work as it's now 5pm, I'm rarely here this late. I'm just staying on the internet anyways. I'll be meeting Moe at around 6:30 to get our mackie speakers for a gig this weekend in Sausalito. Our JBLs almost crapped out on me this past weekend. We need to open them up and see what's going on in there. At least it was only one but could you image if I had no sound at a wedding, just bass, and we still hadn't done the father-daughter dance, money dance, bouquet-garter toss, and dancing for the evening? I woulda been assed-out. Luckily it held but I'm not gonna chance that again. Our contingency would have been one mid range speaker which could have technically worked but that woulda sucked as well. I'm gonna look at some new speakers since we're hoping to be able to do 2 gigs in one day if necessary, better for business. That's one of the advantages of going digital and not vinyl. We can make copy after copy of cds. We can even go the iPod route but I'm not really for that. I like to "spin" and I'd feel like there was no spontaneity to the event if I didn't. We did pick up some CDJ-800s which are the new cd turntables. Whoever is down to come out to the double V can give em a test run. Tons of hip hop available to spin also. I was told that at the wedding this weekend they don't want hardcore hip hop so there goes half our stuff. No biggie, although hip hop really keeps a party going. So no 2 Live Crew, NWA, Dr. Dre or Geto Boys I guess. I think they want some country this weekend too, oh boy, got tons of that, tons. Wish me luck.

7 Comments:

At 5:26 PM , Blogger bernadette said...

hi dj damoomoo john! what are your wedding rates? we're shopping around! =D

 
At 8:43 PM , Blogger Randy said...

man...that means no Lil John? skee-skee-skee-skeee-skeee.

 
At 9:25 AM , Blogger bev said...

oh, is that what dj stands for? 'Damomoo John?' :)

 
At 10:14 AM , Blogger neekoh said...

Ed R. was saying just last night that it's time to sell all the vinyl on ebay cause DJs are switching to the CD turntables more and more.

I was wondering though, do you miss being able to put masking tape on the vinyl so you know where the breaks are? I thought someone should make a plastic overlay on the CD turntable so that DJs can continue "labeling" the CD.

 
At 12:00 PM , Blogger laragitara said...

John is the THE best DJ!! (and with Moe, they are just too cool for school!!!)

He did my mom's wedding last fall. You ought to hire him Bern and Nico! Thanks again John!!

LG

 
At 3:56 PM , Blogger DJ John said...

Come on now Bern, who else is goona play music that makes your uncles get up on stage an sing the lyrics like they're the band? Ok, maybe that's a bad example...

 
At 4:38 PM , Blogger bev said...

hahaha :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home