Sunday, June 19, 2005

Busy weekend

I'm gonna try to post as much as possible but having 2 kids can put a damper on that, especially since they're 3 and 2. I didn't get much sleep this weekend. Friday we had a dinner celebration for my wife's younger brother who was just promoted from the 8th grade. Congrats! I remember my 8th grade graduation, which was back when we used to wear bogart pants with 20 pleats in them, fresh... I had an older girlfriend in the 8th grade too so I was a pimp for that. She was already in high school, a freshman, wow! These days, the kids amaze me at how fast they grow up. Take for example a gig I had this weekend. One of the kids in the wedding, must have been around 4 or 5, if that, was a little dancing machine. We could see that he wanted to dance so I threw on some Michael Jackson for him, Billie Jean, during dinner. (Is that appropriate music for a 5 year old? Michael Jackson?) He was all over the place, he had better moves than half the people I know! Anyways, as the night went on, he kept on and on, but when I started playing some ballroom music for the older folks he ran straight to me and asked for more hip hop. I get that at a lot of parties, but not from kids that age! So as the party went on, anytime we played hip hop he was right there in the middle, as he called it, battling! He was servin' people. I'm hoping my kids enjoy their childhood and not rush into being a big boy like the older kids. I guess on this father's day it reminds me that it's my responsibility to guide them in that direction, we'll see.
Friday nite though, we went to a good friends house, another married couple, and met up with them while we watched a video of their show in Vancouver. Gotta say, it brought me to thinking about coming back doing something with the group but I really do enjoy my Sundays. Maybe if I lose 20 lbs and replace it with muscle, I'll come back. So I guess then I'm not coming back. I bought a weight bench about a month ago, I've done maybe 4 sets altogether, woo! I can still jump rope though. Anyways, congrats to both ensembles for a great show which gave us cheers and laughs, mostly laughs! Just kidding, when you've done it this long, you tend to look for mistakes and mess-ups more than just appreciating the show itself, am I wrong? I have some top hits myself so nothing to be ashamed about. Thanks to our mom, we got to sleep in our bed without the boys, but it was short-lived since we had to get them at 8 am. That was tough because we didn't sleep till 4 since we got home so late.
Saturdays gig was cool, thanks to Mark for hanging with me, since my boy Moe was outta town. I was sweatin' because one of our speakers was cutting out and the night was young with still a lot of things coming up since dinner was just ending, scary! The speaker held up and we played till 11pm, I think I can still move the crowd, even the older folks. I guess the electric slide just never gets old. I even threw in Super Freak, which got the floor packed. Saw somethings happen in the reception that I'll make a note to self that it shouldn't happen in our wedding reception, specifically cutting out the Mother-Son and Father-Daughter dances. All good though.
This Sunday has been nice, no big plans, just relaxing and chillin with the family. Thank you wife for making that happen and for my awesome cards and gifts. We finally did go out and see our peeps in Vallejo, the Davids and Mr. Salumbeeds. Their house is really coming along. Their front-loading washer dryer is the bomb also! Married couples can appreciate those things. When I was single I could care less. Now, it's nice to celebrate father's day on both sides, as a father and a son.

3 Comments:

At 7:54 AM , Blogger Mel said...

Welcome back, DJ John! Happy daddy's day - yesterday! Maybe Nick will come back to dance if you do, too...?!?!

 
At 10:24 AM , Blogger bev said...

there's nothing like the prospect of wearing a bahag that will make you want to lose those 20 pounds! :)

it was nice hanging out with you guys on friday!

 
At 9:44 PM , Blogger Mur said...

You guys need to come around more often!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home