Monday, November 06, 2006

Saturday lunchtime gig

My Saturday gig was a surprise birthday/retirement party that a son was throwing for his mother. It was in San Jose at the Doubletree Hotel off the 101 so I had to get up early and make the long trek out there. This was a referral from the Tuason families, Olivia and Kitchie and Nico and Bern. Edwin, the son, had been at three different events, all weddings and let me know he wanted me to be there for his mom's party. On the way I stopped by UPSer's house to pick up my VST & Hagibis cd that he had borrowed to copy. He was probably dancing to it late nights in his underwear. (Now there's a visual you won't be able to get out of your head for awhile.) The conference center of the Doubletree is very nice. There are actually two floors of rooms and on the first floor was where we were. We were sandwiched between a dentist conference (can you smell a conflict?) and another sort of conference. The surprise worked well and the luncheon began. I asked Edwin for a child's plate since it's hard for me to eat and work at the same time. I had chicken strips and french fries. We had a small delay with the video projector but it got going after a little tech support. The dancing got started with the Achy Breaky and we were on our way. After about four songs a lady from next door came directly over to me and basically reprimanded me for the loud music. She complained that she was in a dental conference and couldn't hear with the music going on loudly. I'll admit it was a little loud, but not as loud as it could be. I did what I could with the sound but it was really the hotel's fault for booking two different events next to each other. I was shocked that she came up to me, not the hotel security. I ended up moving the speakers onto the dancefloor but by that time the crowd started to thin out and leave. That was the first time that anyone from another event complained to me. I've had people within the party ask me to turn it down a little but never from outside. All in all though a good party and another chance to master my Serato.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home