Monday, November 06, 2006

New market opening up?

On friday I met with a family from Napa who is throwing a Bat Mitvah for their daughter next year in June. They're looking for a dj and I happen to have the biggest ad in the AT&T yello pages in Napa. As you may know, I'm not Jewish. In fact I don't know a lot of Jewish folks. I would love too but I just don't hang in the social circles. So, with my computer on I went to Wikipedia, looked up Bat Mitvah, got my info (really interesting stuff), and made it to Napa at the Embassy Suites hotel, across the freeway from the Premium Outlets (that one was for Ms. Luzon). The hotel is beautiful with an amazing outdoor garden in the center. I first met the father who was there separately and then the mother, daughter and her two friends came shortly afterwards. What struck me most was that the parents were so young looking. Both were very fit and slender. The father is a Tae Kwon Do instructor with his own school in town. Not sure what mom does but she was very attractive as well, short though. The daughter and her friends were giggling all the time but were very nice to me. I asked them what kind of music they listened to and of course it was Hip Hop. I asked if they liked Hyphy music and they were like, "Ummm...". They said they liked E-40 so I said you must like Bay Area rap and they were like, "Ummm..." (It's amazing, my hometown's infuence on the Bay Area rap scene is huge. V-town!) Anyways, we discussed ideas. The daughter is taking singing lessons so we thought that we might do an "American Idol" type event with karaoke, complete with big screen and video. They really liked my ideas and so they hired me for the party. Although I'm not Jewish, for the most part there's only a couple of songs that are needed. All the big events are occurring at the synagogue earlier in the day. I'll get to play Nagila Hava for the first time. They mentioned "Sunrise, Sunset" as a song to play. She'll dance with her grandparents for that. I'm excited because I'm hoping this opens up a bigger market for me. If I can pull this off I think it can be the first in many Jewish parties. Luckily it's not till June so I have a lot of time to educate myself but with my trusty computer I know I've got help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home