Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Happy Birthday Alexa!

My God-daughter celebrated her 7th birthday on saturday and as usual the David family threw an amazing family. It's no mystery that Ledge knows how to eat but he and Aileen are such gracious hosts that they really take care of those who attend their parties. This one was no different. It was a Hawaiian themed party so there was plenty of shortribs and mac salad. All the kids seemed to have a great time and we were treated to the talents of Spirit of Polynesia. This group has been around for so long and I've had so many friends that were and are a part of their company. I've always enjoyed seeing polynesian dances. Although I've taken the "I'm not Hawaiian so I shouldn't do those dances" attitude (poor me, short-sighted, I apologize), I just seem more comfortable and more at home with folk dances of the Philippines. Hey, I married my wife partly because of it so you know I've benefited from it in more ways than one. What did surprise me was that they didn't have any male dancers. I remember a time when there were always males in the S.O.P performances. I know that if my life depended on it I could hop in there and learn all the different dances of the islands of the Pacific. My back might not agree with it but they aren't that difficult to do. Maybe that's why I'm stayed with Philippine folk dances. They can be so challenging that you just become determined to learn it and perform it at a high level. Not that polynesian is easy but I just see a higher degree of difficulty between the two types. I'm happy that my God-daughter is involved in polynesian now, but her mommy and daddy know that she's going to end up a Singkil princess one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home