Monday, October 16, 2006

Are you ready to rock?

Saturday night I deejayed a party for our HOA admin, Vivien, whose son-in-law turned 42. It was a house party and they wanted to do some dancing and some karaoke so I obliged. As the party went on and the dancing began, I started with my Celebration mix and stayed with the R&B theme. Once in awhile they would do karaoke. I even started it up singing "My Girl" which got the room singing along with me. Then as the night went on and the dancing continued I got more and more requests for some 80s modern rock, Oingo Boingo, A-ha and the like. While in Vegas I noticed that a lot of deejays played some 80s rock and it got a good jolt out of the crowd so I decided to give it my own shot. That set it off. From then on it was Van Halen, Led Zepplin, Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi. I even played Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl" which was huge. Everyone played their air guitar, all the ladies were singing along and the dancefloor was packed. I'm going to bust that out at another party. I'm not sure where but it worked. In Vegas the dj started with Kelly Clarkson's "Since You've Been Gone" and then mixed "Jessie's Girl". That was an awesome mix. My buddies and I were jumping up and giving him a standing ovation for that. I told him that I was stealing that mix and we all laughed. I'm not going to do that but I'm definitely going to open up the genre and fit it in somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home