Monday, October 09, 2006

The Smack Was Layed Down this weekend...

I was one busy man this weekend from Friday through Sunday. Friday I went to the A's game and witnessed the exorcism of the team's futile attempts in their playoff games in the last 12 years. They had not won a playoff series since '92, long time. The tailgate with friends before the game was great. I saw some old friends from back in high school. Weird how they all tell me I still look the same even after the 50 extra pounds I've added. The Coliseum crowd was great, loud and into each pitch. I have to give them credit because the feel in Oakland is a lot different from San Francisco. The Giants have a lot of old fans, literally, which makes for a more educated but quieter crowd. In Oakland, it's more like a high school/college atmosphere with all the different chants. I can't say I prefer one over the other because they both have their positives but from the first pitch I myself got caught up in the "Let's Go Oakland" chants.

On Saturday I had the gig at lunchtime. I have one complaint. The gentleman who was a "DJ" turned out not to be one but someone with a lot of music on some harddrives. He bragged about how much music he had, how many music videos he had and that he was a big fan of the 70's rock scene and 80's pop scene. None of which had anything to do with the crowd that was assembling at this party. This was a wannabe ballroom/line dance crowd. Here's my one complaint. Someone's children were supposed to do some hula dancing and they practiced the night before. When they asked me for the music I said I didn't have it and that no one gave it to me. They assumed that I would have it. When the guy was asked if he had it, they realized that his music was not the right one as well. So he tells them that he want me to earn my money and was basically inferring to me that I should have it. I told him that it was not my responsibility to provide their music and that all performers I know do not rely on other people to have it for them. I was pissed at him at that point because that was his line from then on, "I want this guy to earn his money." He didn't know that I had already offered a discount to them and was doing this on the cheap as a favor to a family member. Even after discounts that I give I still try to give 110 percent. It turned out I had one song that they could use, Hukilau, the girls performed (they sucked) and any other requests anyone had, I was more than capable of handling them. I never heard from him again.
That night we then had our party for Rich which was the bomb. I was a little worried because guys were dropping out left and right. We had four guys there from the time the girls made it but they didn't start until more guys showed. We had a great bunch of party-going gentlemen, made the most of an hour and a half with the entertainment and then partied until the wee hours. I was hurting though after all of the alcohol.
Sunday I was supposed to get to SF around ten in the morning but I didn't wake up until 10am. The Niner-Raider game was at 1pm and UPSer and I didn't get in until the end of the first quarter. After some lively banter between Niner and Raider fans the home team prevailed (Yay!), we went home happy and no one got hurt. It was really a memorable weekend for me.

1 Comments:

At 8:55 AM , Blogger laragitara said...

And may I add, I thought your groupie was one hot moma! Who WAS she again? Liza and I were scared of her! Run away!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home