Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Saturday Night Fever

Saturday before we left for the wedding we went out to the boardwalk and took the boys around. It had been awhile since both the wife and I had been there. We took them out to the water where they went their separate ways. Andres loved the waves, braved the cold and chased the water back and forth. Mio on the other had was scared from the get-go. As soon as he heard the waves crashing he was terrified. He held on for dear life for mommy and daddy. He went back to the beach camp that we set up and played with the sand instead. One thing the beach confirmed to me was my dislike for sand. I've hated it whether it was cleaning it from your toes, in your car or on clothing or towels. I still loving going out there though and being a part of nature again.

We made our way out to Livermore to the Palm Event Center. I had been there previously for a wedding of some friends that we also deejayed so I kind of knew what to expect. The difference was I'd be by myself handling the music and the emceeing. Luckily GCDC was there too and he took care of the video portion which turned out great. The money dance was good, not too long, got in some good old school hits and started off the dancing without a hitch. I have to credit the wedding couple, Nico and Bern, for their generosity of having an open bar. Nico's buddies were no doubt enjoying that and I was able to have a couple of Jack and Cokes also. Eventually the alcohol was evident as person after person kept approaching me with requests: old school, ballroom, hyphy, disco, etc. We kept the dance floor filled, even when I put on some Tango. I found some time to dance with the wife since she hates when I deejay since she kind of loses her dance partner.

Finally got to spin the CDJ1000s and I have to say, they are awesome. As much as I love the Denons and it's spinning top and special effects, the 1000s have the closest feel to vinyl that a cd player can have. I really felt like I was back in the old days of vinyl, especially since we spun so my old school on this night from MC Hammer's "Let's Get It Started" to Salt and Peppa's "Push It", from BBD's "Poison" to Blacksheep's "This or That". I'm looking forward to spinning again. One thing though, my Serato was tripping as it crashed as I loaded the mp3s into it. (GCDC helped me redo my machine with a new OS and several new programs. I'll test it out and see what happens but regardless, the CDJ1000s are the bomb.

We made it back to Santa Cruz by about 12:40am, drank a little more and stayed up till about 4:00am. I understand someone may have been in trouble for what we were talking about and all that we were throwing at him (or her) so I apologize since I was the main instigator. It was funny as hell so I hope that they know it was all in good fun and bad taste. It was memorable and I thank all of our friends for a great weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home