Thursday, September 14, 2006

Thanks for the input

I see that some of you have put in some suggestions for songs, even from other blogs, so thank you! One thing I notice at receptions is the delicate nature of the money dance. You're asking people who have already (hopefully) given a gift to now give actual money (maybe even a check), as another token of generosity to the couple. Not all weddings or cultures do it. Pilipino weddings have generally been a given but I have been to some receptions where it wasn't even considered. The wife and I had a small luncheon reception so we didn't have a money dance. When we actually do have the big ceremony we will have a money dance. But what is scary about the money dance is how much momentum it can take from the reception. I always tell the couple to make sure that the line is moved along briskfully, not disrespectful. After all, they are being generous to them and may have a thing or two to say to them one on one. I've seen them last over an hour and I've seen lines that are longer with females and vice versa. I've also seen lines that take forever to form. Nico and Bern both agree that reception is really for the attendees and I believe that as well. The newlyweds are generally going to have a great time but you've got to think about your guest who are joining you on your special day as well. You want them going home thinking that it was a great reception and that they didn't leave for home early, maybe even leave for a club. In that respect I think we've held our own in keeping the party going and even wanting more at the end. Hope the streak will continue this weekend!

2 Comments:

At 10:50 AM , Blogger Gary said...

Well we definitely had a great time with you running the music at our wedding. All our cousins danced all night had so much fun!

You are the man!

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger laragitara said...

Hey hey! We didn't do the money dance. Not all Pinoys do, it's more an Ilocano tradition, and i'm full Tagalog. It's always been surprising to me that lots of Pinoys here in the US do the money dance, like automatically. But hey, as long as everyone has a good time. I only need 2 things to enjoy myself... some decent-good libations (beer, wine, champagne, whatever) and darn good music (live would be great!) Hey, you were there at my wedding, remember the band?! (and then later Ken Anolin was on the turntable) Good times!
:-)

By the way, John IS a darn good DJ! My folks enjoyed his selections at my mom's wedding couple years ago. If ever I have another big to do, i'd definitely call you again!

Namaste!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home