Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Chillin at home

So I lost my job a couple weeks ago... (what a way to start a post, eh?). Apparently, after I assisted with the upgrade of our system it also meant that my position was no longer valuable enough, go figure. Screw them, they sucked anyways. I was kind of relieved to hear that they didn't need me. The only positive I was taking from them was the distance from home to work, 20 minutes. I've been home most of the time, checking the internet for work. I'll be receiving unemployment checks for a little while. It's a chance for me to get back from the system what I've been giving into for years. I've been working ever since my first year in college and I had a job in high school too. Anyone want to answer how long ago that was? So I feel like I deserve a break. Besides, I've got my Sugar Mama to take care of me, we're rearranging our finances here and there, and we've also got a lot of support from family and friends. I may stay in IT or just start my second career choice, somewhere in healthcare. We'll see.

Likha Rondalla was over for the weekend for the Davis PCN. It was great to host those guys. Out in the sticks we don't get many visitors. You could see the amazement in their eyes as we drive around town and you see farmland. Yeah, it's a little different out here. I hooked up the semi-Pilipino breakfast of corned beef, spam, egg and sinangang for two days. If you haven't noticed, spam is a little more pricy than I remember. A can is pretty high up so I bought from Costco a six-pack. I still have three cans left, mmm-mmm.... As far as the performances, I "played" for just one day, others did two shows, some did all. To you who did all shows, I give props because it's hard enough to sit through nearly four hours of a PCN, but to do it four times is torture. One thing I came away with from this PCN was the absence of any political content. PCN is supposed to be a chance to express your awakening to identity but there should be some kind of statement as well and I didn't see or hear one. It's bad enough that the college age group doesn't vote. It's worse when they turn a blind eye towards it.

Oh yeah, Andres' Ninang came by with her fiance on saturday night so I need to give them our love and salutations on their nuptials. We're more than excited for them and look forward to that beautiful day in October in the vineyards. And as I told her, jokingly and lovingly, "IT'S ABOUT TIME!"

7 Comments:

At 12:37 PM , Blogger bev said...

it was kind of funny how they didn't really tackle any issues, yet at the end they said, 'The prince and princess got married and lived happily ever after, and that is what it means to be Filipino." Nice "lesson" thrown in there :)

 
At 4:49 PM , Blogger VirtualErn said...

I actually kinda like it when PCNs don't get all preachy about sh*t. They lost me with that whole dream sequence thingy... I would love just for once for a PCN to just be a TWO HOUR night of entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. Just laughs and tears. But four shows at three and a half hours a piece was just plain torture -- the really sorry part is that I had to resort to taping my delicate fingers...weak!

 
At 5:22 PM , Blogger neekoh said...

UCD rarely touched on the political subjects, we left that up to PAA and PACE. The length is always because of the scene changes -- that's what you get when inexperienced people produce a show. but in the end, it was always at least decent. i had to learn how to run a light board from scratch my freshman year.

 
At 5:29 PM , Blogger neekoh said...

sucks about the job, but taking a break is always nice. my 7-month hiatus in 2003 was a blessing. i hope you take full advantage.

maybe this means you can DJ more. you can advertise in wedding guides and magazines. let me know if you want some help.

 
At 11:06 PM , Blogger CLS said...

bring me PCNs and I will give you a good ass show. i miss those things. i can't stand sitting through shows these days because i want to fix everything.

how's that job search going? send me a resume already, brotha. i guess this means you'll be blogging more? ;-)

 
At 5:31 PM , Blogger Mighty Mom said...

I hate to brag on this one, but here goes... back in my days at PACE, we did have 2 hour shows, and it DID touch on some political issues... in fact I remember "getting slapped around" one year!! (yes, that was a voodoo show!)
We did do a lot for our cultural dances, heck we didn't even do Spanish dances the whole time I was there (and singkil only once)!
But yes, that was years ago!!! oh wo-es me?!

 
At 9:58 AM , Blogger laragitara said...

hey hey! nice to read your blogs again...
sorry 'bout the job situation... i hope everything works out for ya.

LG

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home