Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Finally, DJ Bolo has come back to...

I made my way back to my old employer and I can sum it up just like this: no one here will be reading my blog while at work. This bank has stayed so far behind in technology, on purpose I might add, that we don't have email, at least the majority. Not many have internet access. In fact we mostly communicate by voicemail. Yes, voicemail. The president is so worried about productivity that he won't get email and internet access but all that is about to change. Because you cannot deny the power of the internet and the new millenium for that matter, we're going to be getting access to both email and the internet. I'll be part of the staff that assists with that change so that's exciting but let's just say that I'm a little embarrassed that this company is so far behind on things like that. Let me just give you a little quip of what I had to do. I work with HR and have to build reports. I'm learning to use the program that does it and so when we were done we had to upload it to a site and send the report over. Here goes: I built the report using excel, no biggie. When I completed it, I had to put the file on a floppy disk. Yes, they still have those things. I then had to walk over to another machine that did have internet access, a stand alone machine that also houses the email for the department. Once I pulled the file from the disk, I logged onto the site, uploaded the file, and sent it on it's way. I also sent an email to the vendor of who I sent the file to so they would know that it was on it's way. So yes, I know that sounds so 1995ish but it's what I had to do. I'll say this though, I'm spending less than 20 minutes on the road. Costco is down the street ($1.50 polish sausage), as well as every fast food you can think of and Mio's babysitter is on the other side of the freeway. Yes I miss my daily routine that I had at BofA but there are a lot of things that I don't miss. And I got a pay increase.

2 Comments:

At 8:18 AM , Blogger VirtualErn said...

Congrats! Man, at least they weren't so far behind that you were using 8" floppies and 300 baud modems and programming in LOGO. hehehehe

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger bev said...

floppy disks? oh my...

i bet the time it took to get that file out took more time than sending out email AND doing some web surfing combined...and your president's worried about productivity...hmm.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home