Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Where have all the children gone?

Man, I went to Costco in anticipation of all the kids coming by the neighborhood last night looking for candy. I picked up 2 bags and we already had some candy left over from the weekend. Lo and behold, the doorbell rang twice all night. The wife went out with the boys and they went and saw some kids while they were out but not a lot. The wife said I should have left the porch light on, but we had Halloween decorations in the front, and I had a Halloween spotlight shining on our porch. Wouldn't you think we were doing something for the event? I've noticed that kids haven't been going out as much in the past 5 to 10 years. When at my mom's in Vallejo, it was just about the same there too. When I was growing up it was packed on the streets in our neighborhoods. I even got bag snatched one year by someone but I cried so hard that the guys friend convinced his friend to give it back to me. (We became friends in the later years.) People started taking their kids to the mall for candy as well a couple years back but now, they just hand out stickers and crap, no candy. Sad to see that people are just too frightened to bring their kids out on a day that was made for them.

3 Comments:

At 4:53 PM , Blogger bev said...

maybe it was the porch light turned off that got them...in my parents' neighborhood, even if you have Halloween decor, the turned-off light means 'sorry, no more candy.'

 
At 12:28 PM , Blogger Da Factor said...

I think most people just bring there kids to the Shopping Malls. Plus it doesn't help that it's a school night, well, never did for us!

 
At 3:47 PM , Blogger Mighty Mom said...

Thanks Bev, that's what I said... you wouldn't even see the halloween light on the porch unless you were walking by! Our house and the house 2 away were the only ones "on", so people most likely just skipped the street altogether!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home