Thursday, November 03, 2005

What have I got myself into?

This morning when I got to work (I was late since I had to take the boys to Vallejo for babysitting) my fellow manager was talking with her staff and I could hear her voice cracking. She was talking about yesterday when someone had their last day with our staff. A second person also let us know that she would not be returning to work and so now we've lost 2 people out of a staff of 6. I guess her feelings were hurt that no one was giving her updates and all these people leaving kinda made her feel like it was her fault (I hear it is). When the person that left yesterday cleaned out her desk, the manager mentioned that she didn't take the flowers that she gave her. (They were old and had been on the desk, not just recently given.) She makes little smart comments here and there about how she feels slighted from different things. Just tell me this, not being sexist or anything, but do women more than men get more emotionally attached to their jobs? I remember someone saying that years ago and I scolded him for that because I thought that you shouldn't generalize like that. I'm hoping that this group doesn't become too dramatic for me but I'm not holding my breath.

4 Comments:

At 8:00 AM , Blogger VirtualErn said...

I don't think it has to do with man vs. woman. I think it just has to do with the type of person. Some people get emotionally attached to their jobs, and deal with change in different ways...that's just the way they are. I got pretty choked up and emotional the last day at my first post-college job, and again last year when some good friends that I've known for a few years left the company.

 
At 3:38 PM , Blogger Big Sexy said...

maybe it just so happens that "aunt flo" was in town at the same time. She should drink more milk.

 
At 7:38 AM , Blogger Mel said...

I think women are generally just more emotional...but that's just me...

 
At 12:37 PM , Blogger laragitara said...

i think it's a boundary issue, and this woman takes everything too personally.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home