Friday, September 23, 2005

Just gotta get outta the office

On tuesday I had to do an onsite training session in SF. I always loved being a part of the hustle and bustle that is downtown but I think those days are gone. I'm sure coming all the way from Vacaville doesn't help but it wasn't that bad. What was bad was just trying to get through 80 after Pinole. It took forever for the wife to take me to bart in El Cerrito, then just to wait for the Daly City train took awhile also. I prefer to stand on bart because I hate seeing older folks have to stand but I was a little fatigued myself so I sat, but I sat backwards. I can hang with that too but I did start to feel a little ill as the ride took longer. When I got out of the station at Montgomery I was excited to get on Market and make my way down 2nd with all of the other people then it hit me. It's already crowded walking down the street but then you start to hit spots with those familiar smells... urine. Yes, I said it, urine. I love SF but man if it doesn't have some dirty streets. It could have been some homeless person, it could have been some drunk hanging out after the bar, who knows. That's what I love about Vancouver, it is so clean. I'm sure they have their bad spots too but definitely not like SF.

Anyways, I made way to CNet where the training was but half an hour late. That's grounds for termination. I was in a conference with about 15 people and we went through the product training. One thing about dot coms, the sure do get to dress as they like. There I was in my shirt and tie and there they were in jeans and tshirts, nice. It was also nice to see the diversity in the staff. My stomach started growling so at lunch I made my way back down towards Market. I thought about going to Linda's Place, to get a $5 plate of Pad Thai with one shrimp (yes, literally, one shrimp, right Bev?), but i was still kinda far and didn't have that much time. I walked further and noticed that I was right by my buddy Dom's restaurant, Zebulon. I peeked in and around but didn't see anyone I knew so I left. With no other thoughts of what to eat I just found myself in a 7-11 picking up a Spicy Big Bite, a bag of Muncho's and a can of Arizona iced tea, wow. At least big bites are huge and I love Muncho's and I did only spend under $4. You can easily lose your shirt just trying to but a meal in the city.

I stayed onsite till about 4:30 and made my way back to El Cerrito where the wife and Andres picked me up. I don't think I can do that on a daily basis. I'm already going to put together a proposal for our staff to have the 4-10 option, 4 10 hour workdays. I'm glad that the wife and I commute together more often. There are days where I have to go to the arena or softball or her to CoCo practice but we're saving more on gas and get those extra hours together before work.

4 Comments:

At 1:19 PM , Blogger bev said...

yes, one shrimp! :) I haven't eaten there for a long time now!!

 
At 4:45 PM , Blogger CLS said...

sorry i didn't have time to get to a toilet. :-(

 
At 12:48 AM , Blogger VirtualErn said...

It's called "character"! :) Hm, wonder how NY is now after Rudy G cleaned it up. And I actually thought Toronto was cleaner than Vancouver. But maybe that's just romantic sentiment jaded by the passage of 15 years...

I hear ya on the commute -- I used to not mind 1 hour+ commutes, but now, it's a part of my decision process -- even impacted my apt-hunt in San Francisco.

 
At 11:12 AM , Blogger ojpt said...

you should have gone to Gold Club happy hour! Of course, the Munchos there are much more expensive.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home