Monday, September 12, 2005

Does it really matter?

Nothing really serious here but I have a funny story to tell about the Niners football game this Sunday. I watched it from home on my lovely 50in HD LCD projection screen, with the full surround sound going. I dropped off Andres at my parents house in the morning so he could join them. I was going nuts throughout the game as the Niners surprised everyone with an explosive 2nd quarter that nearly finished the game then and there. With the lopsided score and the Niners defense in control I then got ready for the wedding reception that we were to attend. The lead was relatively safe, they played a little conservative at the end but they were holding on against a dangerous Rams squad. We went to get gas and the to Target to get the traditional gift card for the couple. While waiting for the wife get the gift, Mr. UPSer called me and we were laughing at how well the Niners were playing when all of a sudden the score and the game was getting away. Although the Niners had a lead of 28-25, they gave the ball back to the Rams who had it all the way to the Niners 35 yard line. At that point there was nothing but bad news going on so I told him lets hang up since the lead started getting away when we started talking. Soon enough, right after we hang up on the next play the Niners get an interception and the game was over. Amazing. I know 70 miles away the Niners could care less if I'm on the phone and that phone call is jinxing them but it's just funny how a little superstition like that can work wonders. The whole time we were on the phone it was just bad play after another but the second we got off all was well again. So I have to ask "does it really matter?" and are we really that connected? I think sports in general does that to you.

4 Comments:

At 4:25 PM , Blogger triple5funk said...

back then my dad would have me and joanie stay in the same spots on the couch if they were winning and switch around if they were doing poorly. all about the rituals...

 
At 4:25 PM , Blogger Mur said...

dork!

 
At 8:13 PM , Blogger Big Sexy said...

That was funny, I wish you could've seen my face after we hanged up and they ended with the interception. Man I was laughing so hard that people driving around me were probably giving me some strange looks.

 
At 2:04 AM , Blogger neekoh said...

damn, i haven't jumped around for the niners in a long time, but that series of plays in the 2nd quarter got me all excited...woo-hoo!!! I got worried a bit too in the 4th. Glad they pulled it out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home