Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Like finding lost money in your old jacket pocket

I finally hooked back up with one of my best friends from high school. The last time we were hanging out was at his wedding in Reno back in 96. I was single and brought UPSer with me, which was cool cuz we won money I think. I remember asking the wife to go at that time, but we weren't very close then. Anyways, for years before he got married we did so much together, even though he was up at the state capitol at Sac State and I was at the gay state capital (proud to say)at SFSU. Whether it was skiing, meeting back in Vallejo, Niner games, we did a lot together. Unfortunately, he and his wife are on their last leg together and it looks like they'll be splitting up. I told the wife that although he is in a bad spot right now, I'm glad to be able to be there for him now when he can use a friend or two.
He really took to the boys and was happy to be able to play with them. He loved the house and the wanna-be korean short ribs that we broiled as well. We bought some dvds at Hollywood video, 3 for $25 and watched AVP which I really enjoyed. The surround sound is awesome for this movie as well but I have to return it and get a replacement as it was skipping enough to make it annoying.
When he left I made sure that he calls me whenever and that we'll get together to play some golf as well. Before he got in the car he said "I love you man" and I told him the same thing right back. Even after all these years away we always thought of one another but never took the extra step to get back at each other. The good thing is it wasn't because we were mad. It's just that sometimes you get so caught up in your life that you end up getting away from people you were so close to. But now I have my old friend back and am looking forward to sharing him with all my friends of today so he can see where I've been and what wonderful friends we have. Friends that I consider family.

4 Comments:

At 5:36 PM , Blogger Mur said...

Awww....that's sweet John. You are always a good friend! I know that he'll be able to get through his rough spots because of you.

 
At 8:11 PM , Blogger Big Sexy said...

That's cool. Tell chandler that I said what's up and hopefully we can all get together and play some golf and just hang out.

 
At 8:56 PM , Blogger VirtualErn said...

Good to hear...It's always a good thing reconnecting with old friends, especially after all that water under the bridge.

 
At 2:42 PM , Blogger Gary said...

I wish my Buds all lived here. Two of them did, but it was too expensive for them. Another one is going to try after biz school.

But whenever we hang out, it is just like you described. A true friend will always be a friend, no matter how much time elapses.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home