Monday, August 22, 2005

Not a bad weekend

I worked all five days at the arena while the circus was in town. While at the arena I got to catch up with some co-workers there . It's funny how much info you can get. It's also funny how just when you think you know someone, you just don't know someone. Anyways, Saturday was a nice day there because my manager gave the wife and kids free tix in the suite to the show while I worked. My friends that do the food for the suites gave them all kinds of goodies: sodas, juice, cookies, brownies and chips. We didn't have to spend money like we normally do at the events so that was nice. The circus was cool and the kids enjoyed the animals. I enjoyed to wheel of death. The daredevil runs inside and outside of a wheel that is spinning up to 40 feet high, up and down, up and down. I was scared as hell for that guy.
After the show we ran back to the double V where our HOA had a block party. I actually offered my dj services which they took me up on and I was able to negotiate 2 months off of out HOA dues. That really helped. All I really did was hook up my gear, pop in the iPod and let it shuffle. Later, I taught some of the neighbors kids how to play different cds. We've now made new friends. There was also a huge jumper that the boys got to play in. Andres was in there with other kids. Mio was walking around looking at different bugs. I tried to pickup a rollie pollie but it was too small. Lots of bbq, all provided by the HOA. The wife and I ate to servings of franks and beans. It was nice to meet the other homeowners. I suggested getting stickers to write and wear our names which was a hit. Got that idea from the wife's family reunion. We ended up playing music until 9:00pm. It then turned into a karaoke party when some of the girls got a hold of the microphones and sang the tunes.
The real impetus of the event was to discuss whether or not to install security gates. Apparently, there has been some issues like a house being toilet papered, egged, weed-smoking in the parking lot and even drug dealing. Now, we don't live in the ghetto, but drug dealing can occur anywhere. It's a little disappointing to hear that it's going on but I heard it's just one kid who has already been arrested in a crackdown by the cops. His parents even found out but haven't done anything about it. All I know is he better not cross my path or I'll go "Walking Tall" on him.
Sunday I still worked at the arena on the last day of the circus. I ate some leftover mac and cheese and spicy popcorn chicken from one of the suites. I'm still feeling it today. The wife got a visit from a good friend and Ninang to Mio. When I got home we got ready to go to the V and met up with UPSer. We watched "The Great Raid" about American POWs in PI after the Bataan Death March. It was really an interesting movie. I think young Pilipinos outside the PI should watch it. You see what japanese occupation did to our country. It was tough to view sometimes, violent when it needed to be. We had an interesting conversation with a guy after the movie. He was 10 years older than me but graduated from my high school. He wants to put a book together about the Pilipino farm workers labor movement. I had forgottent that the japanese released the Pilipino POWs in 1942 to try to "win the hearts and minds". Sounds familiar doesn't it? How's that working out? Being on the peace movement side I always questioned dropping the A-bombs but just think about what was going on back then and the fanaticism of the japanese at the time. It may answer a couple questions on why we, the US, did it. Yes we. It's a hell of a conundrum to be in when you think of all the consequences. UPSer says to talk to the Pilipinos who lived during those times. I think I will.

5 Comments:

At 3:59 PM , Blogger Gary said...

My dad wants to see that movie! It is his home town!

 
At 8:31 PM , Blogger Big Sexy said...

I liked the movie, but it fired up some old deep "hatred" feelings that I had against the Japs while I was growing up in P.I. I still remember my friends grandfather showing us where he was hidden by his mother when the some drunken japs were looking for young men to beat up just for the hell of it. You thought the Spaniards treated us like dirt. Anyways, didn't mean to make this long. Peace

 
At 8:40 PM , Blogger VirtualErn said...

My Mom was telling me stories about how their Santo Nino protected them from the Japanese during the war, turning away the soldiers from coming into their town. Not sure how much of it is myth though...

On the A bomb, I'm wondering how many lives it eventually saved. They say countless more lives would have been lost with more years of war and the inevitable land invasion of Japan. But yeah, the destruction was quite horrific, even 50 years afterwards.

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger neekoh said...

bern and i watched that last friday. i was wondering why there were no filipino POWs, thanks for explaining.

I'm with Big Sexy on the hate feelings...I was cussing out the movie when the Japanese were getting shot at.."tang ina niyo, MFers"

 
At 1:35 PM , Blogger neekoh said...

where are all the guddam reparations from the Japanese? all this blah blah blah on the folks that died from the Abomb, how about all the filipinos who died from Japanese hands?

And how about that damn citizenship for Filipinos who signed up for the US Army!?!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home