Tuesday, August 30, 2005

To buy or not to buy

I want to find a new car, or buy a used car. I need one with good gas mileage. I've been driving the van from Vacaville to Concord, with stops inbetween to the babysitters. Although the van gets decent mileage, it's still putting a lot of miles on it. We have a plan when the wife goes back to CCC in San Pablo. We'll all go together, leaving around 6:00-6:30, dropping me off in Pinole at UPSer's house to use one of his cars in his fleet. We'll then meet back in Pinole with a carpool intact and just one car to drive back to Vacaville. That'll save toll money as well as gas for 2 cars. Of course I'll buy gas for UPSer's car (we're even looking to get paint jobs for both the celica and the truck), and help with oil changes and the like. One nice thing is the stereo in the truck. It rocks and he's very proud of that. I'll make sure not to overdo it with that. There will be days where the commute won't work, specifically when I work at the arena. But it should help in the long run. I'm definitely not looking forward to the increase in toll to 4 bucks. I would love to get a hybrid, prius or civic, but they are not cheap. I was thinking about going to the Kia dealer where they have that $99 a month on a car. That car has got to be bare bones, no air con, am radio with the old school tuner, roll-up windows, and no power under the hood. We'll take the Matrix to work which gets decent gas mileage but we still hate to put so much mileage on it. Damn these gas prices suck!

6 Comments:

At 4:21 PM , Blogger bev said...

you have to at least get AC w/the weather over there!

 
At 7:33 PM , Blogger Gary said...

You gotta have AC bro. Trade the Matrix in for a Prius!

 
At 9:40 PM , Blogger Mur said...

it'll only get worse since the hurricane. Rich is in the market for a car also

 
At 10:52 PM , Blogger Big Sexy said...

Welcome to my world of commuting. I'm glad I didn't sell the celica, that car has good gas mileage, eventhough it's old, I can still barely hear the engine whenever I start it up.

 
At 11:15 PM , Blogger VirtualErn said...

Might I interest you in a nice black two seater that gets 26 MPG on the highway? ;)

Seriously though, if you're interested, I'll sell you my G20 for cheap...32 HW/26 avg. It's a rock solid commuter with (arguably) the best 4 cyl motor ever made. And handles great.

 
At 1:35 PM , Blogger Mur said...

Ernie, if John isn't interested, I may be.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home