Thursday, July 14, 2005

Heat? What heat?

So Concord is burning up and you know the double V is definitely burning up. We hung out in Benicia last night since we had a softball game and it was burning up over there too. Not too bad though. Ate some good pizza from a place I love to get it from, Napoli's. It's a mom and pop restaurant that's been around in Vallejo since the 60s. I actually went to high school with the sons of the family. It's nice to see that they still do well. I found out they have one in the double V so I can get some out there. If you ever come down and we get pizza, that's where will go.

So like I said, I lean left of the political spectrum. I've been mulling this in my head for awhile so here goes. We've all seen the yellow ribbons on the back of cars saying "support the troops". Since we're by the military base, we see a ton of them. I never question peoples patriotism but I would challenge their common sense. If you support the troops why would you...
... send troops to war on false pretenses
... allow for veterans funding to be cut which affect death benefits
... close veterans hospitals all over the country
... not support a plan to get them out of Iraq earlier than later (or at least any plan that grades progress)
... make soldiers hide their sexuality
The list goes on but then I come to my own conundrum. If an estimated %85 of the military voted for Bush in 2004 how can I support them if that's what they really want? So as I see them making their way to the base should I feel sorry for them that they may be stuck in this war for years, putting a strain on their family? %85 represents more than 8 of 10. That's a huge difference. My dad was in the Air Force during Vietnam and I grew up really pro-US, the kind of thinking that the US can do no wrong, but I've wised up and realized there are other stories out there. My love for the military is still there but my head tells me that they're not all there or they're in denial. Being in denial is worse because they'll never want to know the truth and stick with the lies that got them there in the first place.

3 Comments:

At 10:02 AM , Blogger laragitara said...

days like this i am so GLAD i live in an airconditioned city.

it's always a few making decisions for the many isn't it? i keep thinking of our war mongering fearless leader, or as homer simpson calls him, "commander cuckoo bananas", not seeing a day of action, yet so eager to send young people out, using the same old rhetoric. i read an article about how soldiers sent home who have finished their tour of duty go on PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) counseling, then they send them out again. some just never recover. and can we blame them? they are handing out candies to children and are killed along with the children... it's absolutel insane. no war is justified, ever.

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger Bryan said...

yeh, my dad is ultra-conservative, super republican and pro-bush and religious right (no wonder i grew up jacked!)...but why was it when my 19 year old nephew told the family he wanted to join the marines that my dad flipped out and practically "ordered" my nephew not to enlist? hmmm....i don't get it.

 
At 8:15 AM , Blogger triple5funk said...

and sadly the true effects of PTSD probably won't set in for another couple of years..just like 9/11. we're getting more reports of it now than right after the incidents happened.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home