Tuesday, February 06, 2007

New hotel horror stories

Okay, so I worked on Saturday night at the hotel after being there thursday night/friday morning. Saturdays usually have wedding parties in the hotel or some kind of party people since they get the hall for whatever event they may have. My buddy who got me the hotel job was still there finishing his shift and was waiting for another buddy of ours to come by since they were going to go out. So of course I'll be by myself doing my thing. At about 12:00am, a group of youngsters come by, 3 of them, asking how much a room is. My buddy helps them but because they are a little suspicious he tells them it's $199. It was actually at $129 but if someone will pay it we'll take it, so long as the credit card works and they're over 18 years old.

So they say they'll take the room, he get their credit card and an id and they past all of our hurdles. When one of them comes by with some food and drinks from our pantry I smell something distinct. The time is now 4:20. (Wink Wink!) They ask for a smoking room which happens to be on the first floor. That kind of helps me because if they're going to party and be noisy nothing will make me happier than to have to call the cops to get them out and still make them pay. After they got their room two young girls came to the front desk asking where the gentlemen went and I direct them to the room. So as the night goes on it's just me and the houseman. I had some people go by the room to check on the noise and smell but so far no problems. I had them do this about 4 separate times just in case. I didn't get any calls of complaints, we couldn't smell anything funny and for the most part they were quiet. I go home, sunday rolls along and I'm not working at the hotel, and I don't talk to anyone from the hotel.

Monday morning I meet up with my buddy who works here at the bank as well as the hotel, the same guy, and he tells me about room 104. Sunday they wanted to extend their stay and check out on monday. One guy comes by and wants more food from the pantry and wants to charge it to the room. When it's posted the credit card fails. This is the chance to get them out of the hotel since we don't allow a stay without a valid one. At 8pm sunday they check out and we have the room looked at to prepare it to be cleaned. It was a mess...

Someone threw up on the carpet. The furniture for the room, a double-bed room, was moved all over the place. The bathroom was also a mess with condoms on the floor. It was all jacked up. The room had to be placed as out of order which sucked because we were sold out that night but couldn't make this room available to anyone. I'm not sure if we'll be able to recoup any of the losses incurred from carpet cleaning and whatnot. Usually, when that happens and since we have a credit card we can charge a gang-load of things to them. I'll update later when I know what final steps we took on them.

Now, I'm someone who likes to give people the benefit of the doubt and a lot of times I feel that's part of my downfall. I don't like to think the worst of people because I like to believe in the good in them. I can actually be quite gullible. In this case it was like watching a car wreck in the rain because you had all the factors of a perfect storm in play: three guys (they were from Richmond), illegal drugs, young females and a really late check-in. We both wanted to say no and that we were sold out but wouldn't we be proving someone right of a charge of racism? At what point does common sense/perception & a racism claim become valid. What happens to the next set of people who might "fit the description" but mean no harm? Maybe they're too drunk or high to continue on the road and are responsible enough to realize that they need to stop driving and get a room. I do know that with all of the factors from this last event we should have said we have no rooms but it's too late for that. I do know that they've ruined it for anyone else that may be like them but legitimately need a room.

2 Comments:

At 1:30 AM , Blogger Big Sexy said...

Well at least they practiced safe sex.

 
At 1:19 PM , Blogger Gary said...

It doesn't hurt to see the good in people. Karma can be a bitch though - so they might have it coming to them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home