Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I'm burnin' up, burnin' up for your love...

As you probably have seen on the news or felt it yourself, it's burning up in the Yay Area. And I'm not talking about the "Hyphy Movement". We are all cooking out here up and down Northern California. We knew that moving to Vacaville would bring us hot summers but this is getting ridiculous. This is now officially Las Vegas weather no matter where you go, Vacaville, Concord, Pleasanton, Fremont, San Jose, the list goes on...

Friday was a travel day for us to San Jose in preparation of my cousin's wedding. It was nice driving with the air-con on but as soon as you step outside it's like an oven. I'm glad we don't have the humidity but I bet that's coming soon. The church was in downtown, really beautiful, but it didn't have any air conditioning. We sat in the heat while another couple rehearsed. It looked like Paris Hilton was getting married with all the white chicks in the bridal party. The dinner that night was at a buffet close to Santana Row. They had salt and pepper frog legs. I was tempted since I really like salt and pepper pork or salt and pepper shrimp but I couldn't do frog legs. Maybe if I was on tv and competing with other people I would have done it but i passed. The evening at my cousin's fiance's house was tough. They also had no air-con, the wife couldn't bear the heat but at least it was free.

Saturday, wedding day, we got up early and ran errands. We wanted to find fans or paypays for people who would be at the wedding but everywhere we went no one had any. As the wife went to get her nails done we asked the lady who was doing them if she knew where to get some. She said downtown. So as we got ready, got the boys ready and left for downtown, we had time to go fan hunting. The shop selection was getting thin the closer we got to downtown and when I saw an Vietnamese "antique" shop I decided to give it a shot. As I looked around I saw a lot of old antiques and art. I asked the shopkeeper if she had any fans and sure enough, she had a small bucket full of them. I almost grabbed all of them but wasn't sure how much they were. I offered her 20 bucks for all of the ones I had in my hand and she said deal. It was like a shot in the dark but we scored, nice! At the church I tried to pass them out to people but everyone wanted one. It's really hard to be generous sometimes because as I passed them out it was if people expected them from me. The people that I gave them to that I didn't even know didn't even say thank you and when I told them I needed to save some for the wedding party they looked at me crazy. You just can win sometimes.

The wedding was great, Andres walked, although reluctantly. My cousin's in the wedding party got busted by the priest when they were chewing gum. They're not Catholic though, they go to another church, Iglesia Ni Cristo I think, so they're kinda excused. I was really happy for my cousin and his new wife when they finished their vows. 10 years they'd been together, amazing. We decided to get a room at the Doles Hayes Mansion where the reception was so we checked into the hotel and I setup the gear as well. Moe came later and for the most part it went smooth. I had some issues with the video presentation but our screen looked great up there (it's huge!) and my new Mac did the job and then some. When we played ballroom everyone filled the dancefloor, especially for line dances. It seems everyone really loves the Cha Cha Slide song, young and old, especially young. We got a little hyphy but for the most part the danced all night. Even the wife and I got to dance more at this wedding. Usually I'm working so she loses her partner.

We loved the hotel room, air-con and all. The family went swimming the following morning. I stayed in and watched my twin, Tiger Woods, win the British Open. We left for Fremont to be at the Cruz's. Their food was scrumptious. I really liked the string beans! The wife went to practice and I ran around. In the evening I had to meet with a couple who's wedding I'm deejaying on Friday. It's at their house in the backyard, gonna be a chillin' party. Apparently, the bride knows a lot of celebrities. Goapele may be there and maybe even the rock group Living Color. She wants me to network with other entertainers to do other gigs. Pretty cool of her and she hasn't even heard me play yet. Maybe this is getting closer to being a full-time gig, eh? We shall see.

1 Comments:

At 3:17 PM , Blogger triple5funk said...

instead of bobbito garcia i'll call you johnito!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home