Sunday, November 06, 2005

Busy sunday

We started sunday early since I worked at the arena for the Disney on Ice show. My manager gave me a suite for the family and being Disney you know the wife will be there. I didn't watch much of the show since I was working but the stage sets looked great from what I saw. There was actually a ton of people there, even for an 11:30am show. The Atendido's joined us as well. Moe had two of his teams on the plasma screens in the bar and unfortunately they didn't do well. The Warriors took out his beloved Knicks in the morning and at the same time his Raiders were... let's just say they blew it. He went 0-2. Then it was on to Likha practice.
Yes, I made my way to the studio, got Moe to come as well. Unfortunately I was the one who danced. I stood by apprehensive, knowing it's been awhile since I've done any movements at all. And even though I play softball, let's be honest, it's nowhere near as strenuous as dancing. I started with Sohten and after the first go around I could already feel the burn. My right left was giving me spasms and I could feel my toes might be starting a blister. I made it through the dance, sweaty as hell, realizing how out of shape I was. We then went through Bagobo which was ok, still remember that one. But then we did (the name escapes me, it's muslim, and we're battling, someone help me out here...). Being one of the bigger guys, I had take someone on my shoulders. Luckily it was someone with experience and in shape, Emmanuel. He made it on all the time, no struggling, and I even made the runs around the studio with the spins. It was really satisfying. To be out that long but to still be able to move like that makes you feel good. After that I was spent but we were pretty much done with guy dances. (Even UPSer is back on the dance floor, Dance of the 7 Gongs, should be good.) Thank you to all my Likha peeps for helping me find my way back. It felt great to be there and I look forward to this season.
Lastly, we went to Vallejo and met up with UPSer and the David's and we watched Chicken Little with the kids. I thought the movie was great. Some really good comedy in there. The boys enjoyed it as well. Yes, a busy sunday indeed.

3 Comments:

At 12:09 PM , Blogger bev said...

is the dance 'kuntao'?

you looked great dancing though, looked like you never left! :)

 
At 4:07 PM , Blogger DJ John said...

Bev, you would be correct. I've always been bad with names of dances. It's the American-born in me.

 
At 12:34 PM , Blogger laragitara said...

i wasn't there of course, but to add to miz luzon, you may have been practicing a dance interpretation of the kuntao silat, as taken from the silat style of pangalay practiced by the tausug, badjao, and other ethnolinguistic groups in the sulu archipelago, as well as certain areas in Indonesia and Malaysia. the piece Likha performs is an homage of sorts to the Bayanihan interpretation of this dance. there are websites that claim the kuntao silat is maranao in origin but that is simply incorrect.

i know, i wasn't there, but i couldn't resist. for more information on pangalay, it's origins, significance, different styles (there are 3 distinct styles), and more, check out liwayway amilbangsa's book "pangalay". the documentary film "sayaw - philippine ethnic dances" also shows fine examples of the silat style of pangalay as practiced by the badjao.

gosh i love this sh*t!! :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home